I provide one on one social, emotional and behavioural skills lessons for children who face challenges in these areas.
Social and emotional learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes and skills necessary to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions. However, some learners may need special help to learn skills critical to acceptance as a valuable member of the community. A social and emotional learning support teacher works directly with learners and teachers to identify emotional and behavioural problems in an effort to develop a plan that will enable the learner to achieve their potential in school.
- Sessions might be long or short term depending on the nature of the issue.
- Depending on each child’s specific needs, the session might comprise of roleplaying, group or individual social skills training.
- Focus points might include self-awareness through roleplay, social awareness through social skills training, relationship skills, self-management and responsible decision making.
- I conduct class visits to observe children who might need support, and provide support and strategies to make the classroom situation less stressful for both these children and their teachers.
- I also conduct school readiness tests for Grade R learners.
Contact me to find out more about these services.